February 6, 2013

Beach Bedroom Makeover


Who wouldn't love the chance for someone to write you a check and ask you to design a room for them?  This actually happened to me! Thrilling! I have ALWAYS wanted to try decorating someone else's space. Since this was my first ever project (other than my own house), I put the entire budget into the room and did not take any profit. 


I had $400 and a lot of adrenaline. 

Before


I had my work cut out for me. This room needed a total makeover, from bland walls to the plethora of cartoon fish decor. Good thing I was up for the challenge! With a lot of persistence and bargain hunting, I was able to give this room a complete face lift.

After

Totally different, right? I am still smiling over the transformation.

Secrets to making this work with such a small budget:
  1. Spray paint is key. See the lamps? They were both spray painted to match. Use spray paint whenever possible.  That night stand, yep. It was spray painted, too. It was an ugly 1970's brown when I found it. 
  2. Use whatever you can that is existing in the room. See the new bedding?  I saved a ton by purchasing a duvet cover and stuffing that old fishy comforter inside. 
  3. Don't be afraid to find things at Walmart. I found the three matching frames for a mere $2 each and filled them with vacation photos that the couple had already printed. 
  4. If you want a soft look for ugly windows, try inexpensive sheers. I found those sheers online for about $6!
  5. Don't be afraid to get your hands, feet, knees, and hair dirty. I saved the most by recruiting my sister to help with the dirty work. We spent hours removing wallpaper boarder, painting, and cleaning. In the end, it paid off...and gave us some good quality sister bonding time.  :) 

Some of my favorite details from the room:
I found this beautiful book and the seashells hanging around in another room.
They got a new home and look about 100 times more beautiful. 

This little corner was so much fun. The blue paint and sandy colored accents made all the difference in transforming dull, white walls into a peaceful getaway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!