February 6, 2013

The Baby's Chef

It's so much simpler than I had imagined to make baby food. Seriously. And absolutely worth the grocery savings.

Since we made the transition to living on one income, we have been looking for simple ways to cut costs. Groceries have been a way that we have dramatically decreased spending, and with a baby in the house now, there is an added challenge.

All you need to make baby food is a food processor (or blender) and some baby food containers.  There is no need to buy expensive baby food making products that just take up more counter or cupboard space and aren't good for much once baby is eating solid food.

I also bought three sets of these.  They are dishwasher safe, freezable, stackable, and won't break if dropped on the floor.  They even come with a little recipe book to help you get started.




When first approached with the idea of making my own baby food, I was a little intimidated. What if I screwed it up? How would I get the perfect texture? Would it be healthy enough?  I bought some store bought food to see the texture and try different flavors to see what Baby Boy would like.  Then I tried my own.

You can buy fresh or frozen veggies. Both will work. I buy all fresh fruits.

To make veggies:
1. Prep the veggies (wash, peel, etc.).
2. Boil or steam until done.
3. Let cool for a few minutes.
4. Puree. Add water until you get a texture you like.
5. Pour into containers.
6. Feed baby! Freeze/refrigerate leftovers.

To make fruit:
1. Wash and peel.
2. Chop and put into food processor.
3. Puree. Add a bit of water if necessary.
4. Pour into containers.
5. Feed baby! Freeze or refrigerate (some fruits may be better prepared and fed right away, like bananas).

I have tried several foods so far including green beans, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, bananas, pears, avocado, and peaches. It really couldn't be simpler.  I usually buy 3 pears or sweet potatoes to make 6 full containers.

All finished!

Don't be intimidated. It's pretty fast and easy! 
And when baby outgrows single pureed foods, you can add meat and veggies together. 
I'm trying that next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!