1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 heaping teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 heaping teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Mix sugar, butter, egg and vanilla.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. (photos below)
6. Flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes (I bake mine for about 7 minutes).