March 26, 2013

Too Few Hours...

There are so many good things that fill up literally every moment of my day, yet there is one thing that I am having the hardest time figuring out how to fit into my regular schedule as a mom.

Devotions. Ones that aren't crammed into a 15 minute session or follow a program. Devotions that leave me feeling so refreshed, comforted, and engulfed in God's love.  I miss those.

My days are packed. Starting around 6:00 a.m, I become a half-awake playmate for a busy baby boy. I feed him breakfast, lunch, make dinner for the family, wash-dry-fold endless amounts of laundry, clean my house, walk the dog, bake treats, change diapers, keep a tiny bit of a social life, spend time with my husband, and by the end of the day... I am spent.

Before having a baby, I had no trouble finding ample time for devotions regularly. Now, I'm lucky to get one decent session in any given week.

How can this be?

So I am once again re-thinking the way I do life. What should I spend less time on so that I can have more time with God? Maybe I should cut out time on the internet? But then I would miss out on so much going on with people, news, etc...Can't do that. Maybe I should do devotions when Baby Boy is sleeping? But that is my nap time, too! Such precious down time... Can't do that. Maybe I should stop watching the news? But I MUST keep updated on the latest world events! Can't miss that.  Maybe we should just get rid of TV all together.  But then the husband would miss sports and I would miss my design shows...Can't do that.

What exactly is the answer?  I know. I make excuses.

Each day, I wake up thinking that today will be the day that I devote a good amount of  time to individual Bible study...and the day passes...and I crawl into bed at night...and I haven't gotten around to that precious devotional time that I promised myself. And I feel convicted. I've let myself down. I've let God down. I think about my testimony as a Christian. Sure, I go to church and listen to the sermons. I go to small group and study with other believers. I meet with a group of friends for a Bible-based book study...and those are all good things that I love and keep me accountable, but I really, really miss having time to read God's Word on my own. I miss just getting lost in the Bible and forgetting completely about the time or any other responsibilities, knowing that I'm having quality time with my God and He is actively speaking to my heart.

So I write this post not to tell you that I've figured out the key to having a perfectly balanced life, but to  keep myself accountable. I can't make excuses. If God is absolutely the most important part of my life, my reason for existing, I can't keep spending so much time on other trivial things each day. I have got to make my devotional time a priority.

As I wrap up this post, I am heading straight for my Bible and my journal. I'm going to read about whatever God leads me to read. I'm going to write down what He speaks to my heart. I will make Him a priority today. It's a start, right?

And I plan to do it again tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that day. And so on.

Next week, I'll let you know what I've learned about being a new mommy with a jam-packed day and trying keep up with daily devotions.  Maybe I won't fall flat on my face...and maybe...just maybe I'll have learned something worth sharing.

Ephesians 6:11-17- "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!