October 14, 2013

Forgetting Labor Pain

They say you forget all about the pain of childbirth when you hold your newborn. This was not the case for me. I must be a wimp because I remembered it vividly for at least six months. When my precious boy was around a year old, I remembered it, but a little less vividly. I remembered it enough to know that I didn't want to go through it again any time soon.

And now, several months after that, I'm finally starting to forget about it. I was beginning to think that I might never forget, that I might never be "ready" to have another child. This morning I realized that thinking about childbirth didn't automatically cause me to relive the pain. I mean, I remember that it wasn't pleasant but I can't actually remember the specific pains. Weird.

Here's what I do remember: being completely exhausted and really, really swollen. Somehow, pain is not part of the equation anymore. And somehow, childbirth doesn't seem nearly as difficult as I used to remember.

Does this mean that I might be ready to have another baby?

Uh...

I still remember vividly how hard it is to function on 3 hours of sleep.

Nope. Not yet.

I'm treasuring these days with my only child, these days where I can give him my undivided attention. Honestly, I still feel like I'm learning so much about being a mom. And we are settling into a routine, getting long, restful nights of sleep, and starting to enjoy getting out and about with other little ones his age.  It's a wonderful time and I don't feel the least bit bad about admitting it! :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!