December 9, 2013

God, Give Me Patience With This Child

It started last week, suddenly. At first I thought it was cute, but soon it started to be just plain scary.

My little boy has discovered his ability to destroy things and is fully enjoying it. I didn't really think anything of him crushing his goldfish crackers to dust between his thumb and index finger. I mean, it's harmless, right? Well, then he cracked the screen on my computer. Then the found out how to climb up on the counter tops. Then he smashed a rather large flowerpot to smithereens. Then he discovered where we keep the silverware. Then he shoved my phone into the sub-woofer. Thank goodness it's wasn't dead! I got it out after removing just a few screws. It's gone on like this for the past few days.

I get no rest when he's awake because I'm terrified that he's going to get into something dangerous and hurt himself. Suddenly he's gone from reading books and building towers to searching for breakable things to destroy. To be honest, I've been at my wit's end over the past few days. Stressed. I've raised my voice. I've tried so speak reason to a baby...he responded by looking at me and giggling like I was funny. I've felt like I've lost my mind.

Well, after he smashed my pretty flowerpot this morning, I had had enough! It was time to get out of the house and let him expend some of his energy elsewhere. I just couldn't take any more destruction! So we loaded into the car and I turned on my favorite Christian radio station...and what do you know...the most perfect verse came over the airwaves:

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

I just love those little moments when God puts things right in front of my face so that I can't possibly miss what He's trying to get me to see. Patience. Gentleness. Patience. Humility. Patience. Love. Patience. Bearing with one another. Patience. 

After all, as I sit here typing with this cracked screen, I've realized that it's just a screen. It can be replaced. I can replace the flower pot. I was able to find my phone. I can lock the silverware drawer. It's going to be okay. My precious boy, whom I love with all my heart and soul, is just learning boundaries and his new found strength. I can...and I must teach him those boundaries without getting so stressed out. I must set an example of humility, gentleness, patience and love even in the hard times.

Thank you, Lord, for this verse today, for putting my day in perspective, and for teaching me how to be a better mommy. And please help me remember it tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!