September 20, 2013

Apple Crisp Oatmeal: Crock Pot Recipe

I doubt I'm alone when I say that I'm starting to look forward to (and crave) yummy fall recipes. Today I'll share one of my new favorites with you:


Image from chickfluff.org

Crock Pot Apple Crisp Oatmeal 
(serves about 6)

5 apples (I used 4 Granny Smith and 1 Red Delicious)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 cups of oatmeal
4 cups water


Crumb Topping 
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted





1. Wash, peel, & slice apples and place them in the crock pot.
2. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top of the apple slices.
3. Pour oatmeal on top, then add the water.
4. Do not stir the mixture.
5. Bake in the crock pot on high for 4.5 hours, or on low for no more than 6 hours.

6. About 30 minutes before the oatmeal is done, make the crumb topping.
7. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder) together.
8. Add the brown sugar and melted butter.
9. Mix together with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the oatmeal mixture.
10. Allow it to bake for another 30 minutes or so and enjoy! 

Start with apples: peel, core, slice. Use your favorite flavors. This is my favorite combo. 

Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Don't stir it up, just sprinkle on top.

After you add the oatmeal and water, it will start to bake and look like this. No need to stir.

And here it is, right before serving with the apple crisp topping added. The warm oatmeal mixture will start to bubble up through the topping when it's ready to serve. Yum! It goes great with a tall glass of milk. :-) Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated. I'd love to hear from you!